Friday, January 1, 2010

unwavering resolve. . .

Last month John and I drove to Memphis for Josiah's graduation. The trip is 12 hours from San Antonio to Memphis-plenty of opportunity for worthy reading; on the drive there we read "The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards" by Steven Lawson- actually a gift for Josiah, so I read aloud fast; it was so good, I scribbled some notes. Edwards' earnest resolutions focus on issues of his heart, on the glory of God; I'm intrigued. . . and on the first day of the year, I'm thinking about my own resolve. . .

In the chapter titled "Precipice of Eternity", Lawson writes of Edwards' commitment to keep his eye on his own death, Christ's return, and the world to come, and so doing, he would help himself live for God's glory in the present. Jonathan Edwards was a young man, a teenager, when he first penned his 70 resolutions-a pattern for his life.
"Resolved, never to do anything which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life," he wrote.
not to sound dramatic. . .but I'm on the precipice of a new decade of life (with my birthday approaching-far from a teenager!) Lord, help me to keep my eye on the final hour of my life, so that I might keep away from temptation, live for what is best-the glory of God.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Amen...! *sigh* Much food for thought.