Sunday, January 24, 2010

challenged to imitate

So, I had a teaching opportunity at a recent women's gathering-the topic was Kindness. I'm thinking on God's legacy of kindness: He is kind to all men-all, without distinction; God's kindness draws us close, kindness that draws us to repentance; and God's kindness compelled action-He sent his Son to die. . . .
"God's children should bear the indelible stamp of His moral character. Since He is loving, gracious, kind even to His enemies, we should be like Him." (McArthur)
We should be like Him. . . imitators of God as beloved children. I chose some Scriptures to remind myself of God's instruction to imitate Him in kindness:
"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another just as God has forgiven you." (Eph 4:32) . . .tender, forgiving
"As those chosen of God, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, patience." (Col 3:12) A wise person wrote, "Kindness refers to a goodness towards others that pervades the person, mellowing all harsh aspects."
hmmm, I love this verse and the quote. . .kindness mellows all harsh aspects.

"Applying all diligence in your faith. . .in your godliness, kindness."(2 Pet 1:7) diligently work at being kind.
"the Lord's bond servants must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all." (2 Tim 2:24)
Ah, the quarrels that are on my lips, in my heart-Be kind!
So, we have a worthy challenge and divine instruction to pursue kindness. . .
again and again I see myself failing, struggling to be genuinely kind; I can generate a degree of external kindness, and conclude that on my own, at the heart, I am an unkind woman.
Jerry Bridges writes, "Kindness is the inner disposition created by the Holy Spirit that causes us to be sensitive to the needs of others." (causes and enables us)
Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to companion and help believers; be assured, kindness is the fruit of the Spirit's work in our lives. . . and I cry out, Lord, make me a truly kind woman!
there is hope.

enough for one post-but there is more.

No comments: