Monday, January 18, 2010

Sixty

Today's a school holiday for John, so we biked through our southside neighborhood and enjoyed breakfast at the Guenther House (cherry streudel for me, more for him)- a birthday tradition. . .yesterday I turned 60-I'm a low-key birthday kind of person (I can't believe I'm blogging about my birthday); it's sweet to remember the little things. . .
I love how my birthday fell on a Sunday this year; early, in the church parking lot, we were swarmed by little Franklins, would we come to their house for lunch? Of course- they didn't know it was my birthday-nice! But somehow they knew, and quick quick there was lunch and a birthday cake and singing for me-a memory for my 60th.
Today Gabrielle invited me for birthday lunch-my favorite things: butternut squash, potato soup and berry cobbler with whipped cream, fellowship with dear friends-perfect!
And I'll remember the cards, calls, email wishes from family across the ocean-they shared their news, the best gift ever.
Yesterday morning Amaleah and Julia took the Amtrak train to Dallas with Luke-at night we chatted about my birthday and their train adventure. I asked them, "Remember when Laua and Mary went on their first train ride in The Shores on Silver Lake? was it like that? did the conductor punch your ticket? did you eat in the dinning car? Julia! you used the bathroom on the train six times! Really?"
Then I talked with Luke, "Mom, there was a woman on the train today who was writing a novel-I think you would like the train!"
Reading-writing-knitting on the train. . .we're expecting a little grandbaby in Dallas this summer-just maybe my 60th year will hold an Amtrak adventure.
Lord, help me to number my days that I might present to you a heart of wisdom.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Happy belated birthday Darcie! I had no idea it was your birthday... otherwise I would have wished it to you on Sunday!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I was able to share in your special day. I hope the rest of your birthday week was just as precious. We love you Aunt Darcie! Now I've got to finish cakes and pies for our birthday folks :)