Friday, January 29, 2010

Tea and Oats. . .

I love oats-mmmmm, oats in any form; so when I came across this recipe for Oatmeal Shortbread, I had to give it a try; here's the recipe, take care to carefully measure the flour, not adding too much:
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
So-preheat oven to 325 and toast the oats on a cookie sheet til lightly browned; cool completely.
In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, 1/2 cup cooled oats; process until finely ground; add butter and pulse until mixture is texture of fine meal.
Press into 8 inch square pan (I used round pie plate) and sprinkle remaining oats on top, press in lightly. Bake until firm and lightly brown (I baked for 20-25 min.)
Immediately score the shortbread with a sharp knife into squares or triangles; let cool completely on a wire wrack before removing from pan. gently break along scored lines.

This shortbread kind of reminds me of the round biscuit cookies I enjoy with coffee when visiting my children in Spain. . . so-today I'm taking a break with oatmeal shortbread and tea, Earl Grey with milk, and musing about my upcoming visit to Spain and London. . .

No comments: