Wednesday, January 13, 2010

when the girls came to stay

Sometimes as I peruse the rooms and closets at 2305 St. Anthony, the remnants of raising 8 children in this old house jump out at me-reminders of cherished children, a cherished season of my life. . .but then I resolve: it's time to shed this stuff- decluttering is a worthy pursuit, right?
Then last week our little grandaughters came to stay. . . visiting this old house just as a canadian norther iced our town. Aye, they'll be cold. . .they won't like it here, I thought.
But I suppose for the very young, clothes layering is fun. . .aswell as snuggling together in Aunt Mercy's bed, shivering by the stove-oven turned on in the morning, drinking steamy little cups of GranPapi's mud (hot chocolate), racing around the empty upstairs rooms, running running to warm up. . .
And then the remnants of Daddy- and the 4 aunts and 3 uncles who grew up here-to me it's clutter, to them it's treasure; the aunties' closet yields the best- formal dresses, scarfs, fabic shawls and shoes, oh the shoes!. . . Amaleah always chooses Aunt Rachel's pink pumps and Julia the glittery spiked heels; and there are accessories, fluffy, lacey, velvety-Julia claims the feather boa, always.
So nice to have them here in this old house.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And boy did they have fun! I keep hearing tid bits of the adventures...Mommy, we slept in our slippers..Mommy, you tell us not to run in the house, Gran told us TO run in the house, and through the kitchen, even with the oven open! To keep warm, of course...and I just smile...I never had those times with a Gramma, so I think this will be a wonderful memory for them!

Dawn said...

So....am I to assume that if you ever visited us here in our old house...(the oldest house on the street)...that you would be right at home?
That would be nice.
Somehow, I thought that all the houses in San Antonio were large and grand and new...making our place pale in comparison.
Just imagine.
We raised our five here in a house with only ONE bathroom!
AMAZING to others, normal to us.
:)

Amber said...

How sweet! I used to love going to my grandparents farm and going through the attic... we always found fun treasures to play with that are now, years later, sweet memories! And come to think of it, my grandma always thought the attic was full of junk... she was totally wrong!