Saturday, November 27, 2010

Lavish forgiveness-7 (Parable)

Sometimes I read a portion of Scripture and it's asthough God is saying, "This part here, belongs especially to you!"
The parable of the unforgiving servant in Matthew 18: 23-35 is for me. . .I think.
The context of the parable is Peter's question to Jesus, "How often should I forgive when my brother sins against me?"
And then Jesus tells the parable. . .Remember how the gracious king forgave the first servant zillions, then the same servant forgot the kings great mercy to him; he was harsh , demanding, unmerciful to the second servant who owed him peanuts. Shocking! Who could ever behave that way? we ask.
Wicked Servant!
This parable is so powerful for me-it's about me, about you. I owe zillions to my great King, and He tells me to forgive peanuts. . .
Why is forgiveness so hard?
It's hard. . .because I forget the parable-forget that it's so personal.
Remember, Soul, no one has sinned against me to the extent that I have sinned against the Saviour.
So-read the parable, apply it personally, and notice. . .God will not overlook an unforgiving spirit (vs 35).

(for yet another post-Pitfalls and Provisions)

No comments: