Monday, November 15, 2010

Lavish forgiveness-3 (Pattern)

Week after week I studied biblical forgiveness. . .and I was confronted over and over with my lovely Saviour, Jesus-the perfect Pattern of forgiveness (hmmm, God knew I needed instructions and a pattern).
So-if you want to know how to forgive. . . Look at Jesus.
Among many, here's 4 pieces to the pattern:
Motive-God's motive in forgiveness is love- lavish undeserving love.
"for you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you" (Ps 86:5)
"If God so loved us, we also ought to love oneanother" (1 Jn 4:11)
When I struggle to forgive, I lack love; "Let love be genuine" (Rom12:9)
God, help me to grow in love!
Attitude-Jesus is kind, tenderhearted (Eph 4:32), humble (not aloof), bearing with us patiently. When someone asks my forgiveness, I'm tempted to think, Does she really mean it? or I will forgive when I see fruit. But Jesus is never suspicious of motives.
Amount-Peter asked Jesus a question about amount in Matt 18:21, "Jesus, how many times do I forgive my brother?" But the pattern of Jesus in forgiveness is not about measuring amount, rather His divine pattern is habitual forgiveness without limit (1 Jn 1:9). Soul, How many times a day does Jesus forgive me? How about repeat offenders? Remember, we are all repeat offenders against God!
Rebuild-Jesus demonstrates a pattern of forgiveness followed by reconciliation. Our Saviour is tenderhearted to repentant sinners-He forgives and reconciles us to Himself. Now then, I'm tempted to forgive and then move on to form a new friendship; but with Jesus it's not forgive and forget that person. Jesus forgives, draws us close, and rebuilds. (what about me?)
Look hard at Jesus, our amazing pattern.
(and for next time. . .yet another "P"!)

1 comment:

Heather Pelczar said...

Thank you Mrs. Newton! How my heart, mind and awful habits needed this to think on!