Monday, November 22, 2010

Lavish forgiveness-5 (Problem)

". . .forgive one another as God in Christ has forgiven you." (Eph 4:32, Col 3:13)

So-I shouldn't be confused, God says: Forgive! here's your model in the flesh-Jesus!
and here's my grace- sufficient! (2 Cor 9:8)
Then why is it so hard?
We live in a sinned cursed world with sinners; when we are treated wrongfully, it hurts. . .the problem is real.
There's Pain
"The whole law is fulfilled in one Word, Love your neighbor as yourself. But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not comsumed by one another" (Gal 5:14,15)
Yikes! What a warning. . .in this life our relationships are mixed up and painful; we grow weary under the burden. But Jesus inivites us to unload the weight of the burden, "Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest. take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble and you shall find rest for your souls." (Matt 11:28-29)
And right here I must staple the Gospel to my pain; I remind myself, "No one has sinned against me to the extent that I have sinned against the Savior."

So, what if I grant forgiveness but the painful, hurt feelings linger, linger. . . ?
Remember- forgiveness involves a deliberate choice that goes contrary to our feelings. The moment those feelings surface, I must choose to put off the hurt feelings, choose to set aside the offense and desire the best for the offender, choose to discipline my mind, "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." (Phil 4:8)
Keep acting on the truth and trusting that my emotions will follow.
And there's more. . .more, best saved for another post.

1 comment:

Heather Pelczar said...

Mrs. Newton- I am really enjoying these posts. I love that you are sharing them with all of us. This post especially is something I am finding that I need to remind myself of SO Often! Thank you for being faithful to God and what His word tells us, rather than saying things that are most comfortable to hear.