Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lavish Forgiveness (1)

Last month I had a teaching opportunity for a women's gathering-I spoke about forgiveness.
Aye-the topic is vast, like the mighty ocean; but I was happy to be there. . . teaching my own heart.
So, forgiveness is about the resolution of conflict-
I often pass a highway billboard which displays a company of steadfast, purposeful men, arms folded, men in white shirts, urging me to call about accidents, injuries, wrongfulness. (is that really a word??) These billboard men claim to have the answers to resolving my conflicts. . .but they don't.
the answer is here:
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you (Eph 4:32)
Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other as the Lord has forgiven you. . .(Col 3:13)
If anyone has a complaint (do you ever have a complaint?) forgive (how?) as God in Christ forgave . . .
Really, how we live out forgiveness rests on what we believe about God (Ps 130: 34)
And the answer lies in the Gospel of forgiveness-Ah, yes, the Gospel!. . .on the cross Jesus spilled the blood of God to appease the wrath of God; He was shamed, tortured, abandoned by God the Father; He suffered, bled, died. And then Jesus conquered death; he rose from the grave that people (you and me) may have peace with God through the blood of the cross.
"He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved son in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins" (Col 1:13-14)
And that's how Jesus forgives: lavish, gracious, abounding, unexplainable
I'm thinking. . .Really-how God forgives is the most important truth any human considers. . .
(and there's more!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus tells us only to love: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind. . . And love your neighbor as yourself." To forgive, as we have been forgiven for all our mistakes, is to love. Simply love. To love completely is to risk your life. Jesus taught us love and he hung on a cross. And love conquered death.

Barbie Shadrick said...

Darcie,
I just wanted you to know that the book "Comforts from the Cross" which you gave me before I left has been such a blessing. It's now part of my morning devotions. I love you and miss you dearly. Thank you for serving our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
-Barbie