Friday, May 27, 2011

what I do for a living

Another cup, another story. . .
one summer I visited my sweet sister in California; we enjoyed coffee at Pete's (mmm, good coffee)- then I purchased this cup. I take it down from my cupboard and think, this one doesn't fit me- colors too bright, cup too big, handle sticks out. . . But really, I love it- blueberries on bold yellow, shiney glaze and memories with my sister. (and the lip is chipped. . .)


Last week I met Jennifer and Amy for coffee. . . each is on the brink of unexpected life changes; for a long time I've met them 1 on 1, but recently we've been a threesome.
And it's been good-just taking in their talk, their mutual exhortation, and I interject a little. . .
How can we pray for you? they ask.
So, I told them about my appointment with a new doctor, about my dislike for those forms that ask personal information . . .
What do you do? where do you work? your employer?
I use to say, "I stay home with my kids." But the kids aren't home anymore. . .maybe she thinks I play bingo, that I'm spending my children's inheritance (silly)
Heart, it doesn't matter what she thinks -remember, the fear of man brings a snare.

And that day in the new doctor's office, it wasn't so bad, really.
"So, I see here that you mentor women. . .you're a counselor then. Is that what you do for a living?"
do for a living?. . .a counselor?
No, not really-I'm a wife, a mother, my children are grown up, I meet women over coffee. . .what I do for a living? Well, I'm a Christ follower. . .
thanks for asking.

3 comments:

Heather Pelczar said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw your title was, "Follow Jesus..." It's what we were created for. You do it well. It encourages me to do it better.

naomi said...

yes! (sometimes, in the occupation slots I put "I help to shape the next generation") :)

Unknown said...

that's good. just along some of the same lines that I've been thinking about. what defines us?