Monday, May 23, 2011

Psalm 106. . .and grace

Day after day I bump into grace. . .
God's grace confronts me in his Word, in books, in people, in circumstances, in creation. Ahh, God's grace is huge-and sometimes I'm surprised. . .

The other day I read Psalm 106-48 verses narrating Israel's rebellion and God's deliverances.

So, God's covenant people forsake Him, exchange his glory for a beast, despise the good land, grumble in their tents, forget his works, yoke themselves to Baal, eat sacrifices offered to the dead, rebel against His spirit, mingle with the nations, serve idols, shed the blood of their sons and daughters. . . their hearts are wicked verse after verse; and God gave his people into the hand of the nations- those who hated them ruled over them. . .

Then there was grace. . .
Nevertheless, He looked upon their distress, when He heard their cry; and He remembered His covenent and relented according the the greatness of His lovingkindness. He made them objects of compassion. . .
And me? Well, last week I didn't sacrifice children to idols, nor join myself to Baal, nor serve gods of other nations. . .but honestly, I've known temptation, known my human frailty, grumbled in my tent- recently!
Nevertheless, He looked upon my distress, heard my cry. . .he made me an object of his compassion. . .

worship

No comments: