Wednesday, May 25, 2011

squash like candy

Our friend, Ralph, recently moved into the room above our garage. I'm not totally sure how this living arrangement will work out, but one thing is clear-Ralph needs us.
So, in Ralph's evaluation, I'm an A+ cook, "Sister Darcie, even when you're not home I can smell the cooking from your kitchen . . . and I think, she's that kind of cook, even when she's not cookin it smells like cookin!"
Last week a friend gave me a pile of collard greens- I cooked and served them up. "How are the collards, Ralph?"
He tells me, "mmm, just like my sister made!"

Tatume squash, that's what I have growing in my front yard. I planted it because the picture on the seed package looks like the squash that grows in the corn fields in Mexico. Indeed, the vine ingulfs everything; I carefully lift the vine while John mows.
Yesterday I sliced and sauteed Tatume squash; after dinner I overheard Ralph on the phone,
"How does sister Darcie make squash so good?. . .her squash tastes like candy."

garlic. . . the secret is garlic.

3 comments:

Denise said...

How awesome. I have never seen that kind of squash before. Sounds (and looks) yummy.

Rachel said...

I love your stories! Ralph's comment reminds of Malachai's some years ago when he said that "Brown rice tastes like rice candy!" Something like that...

anyway. I agree with Ralph's assessment of your cooking, and wish I could stop by for dinner one of these days!

patricia said...

So that is what it is called, and all these years I thought just calabacita.
You know calabacita con pollo, calabacita con puerco.
Hmmm I think We definitely need to have you teach a cooking class.
My home is always available.
Ralph is certainly going to experience some gastronomical delights. If that isn't a word it should be one!!