Wednesday, March 23, 2011

names in her head, maps in his. . .

My sweet friend, Deborah, is getting married - last week I had an opportunity to give her a little encouragement.
So, I thought about the yarn in my stash-a ball of sturdy 100% wool, bold blue (like him) and a hank of lovely pale green, all cotton, organic (like her), both natural fibers- Oh, so different!
In the essentials, he and she are alike-but different, like cotton and wool. . .created uniquely-different families, lifestyles, interests, preferences. . .

Elisabeth Elliot writes, "You marry a man. . .he is likely to be bigger and louder and rougher and hungrier and dirtier than a woman expects, and she finds that bigger feet make bigger footprints, a bigger noise on the stairs. He eats far more than seems necessary. When he takes a shower his broader dimensions mean more water used and a greater surface for water to cling to and therefore she finds that the towels get much wetter. . .it is a man she married, after all, and she is lucky if he acts like a man." (Let Me Be a Woman)

" She does her husband good, not evil (not harm) all the days of her life." (Prov 31:11)
So-considering differences, could a wife do her husband evil?
mmmm. . . indeed, if she says "I do" expecting to change her husband- or if she insists, (or insinuates), that her way is the right way (differences are preferences, neither right nor wrong)- or if she compares him to another man. . . Aye, poison!

How about doing good? Considering differences . . .embrace them! I know, it's not always so simple. I have names in my head, he has maps in his head. . . what? another hand-drawn map to get me where?
I remind myself to put off irritation, to put on patience, to avoid any belittling tone or attitude (you know, names are about people-maps are just paper)-
and laughter is good. . . .
hmm, it's hard sometimes. "Lord, show me how to do my husband good all the days of our life together."
I need grace to keep doing it - day after day until the end.

No comments: