Friday, March 25, 2011

friday morning and blueberry buckle

Sydney comes to my house Friday mornings. We work on Spanish-and we talk and eat a little . . . last Friday we ate breakfast tacos and I made blueberry buckle.
I didn't have blueberries but subtituted blackberries from my freezer, Yuumm. . .
So, this blueberry buckle is a family favorite with a nice memory-
15 years ago-or so, we spent a summer vacation with good friends attending seminary in Mississippi. My friend made Blueberry Buckle for Sunday morning breakfast.
And back in Texas I did the same-years and years of blueberry buckle for Sunday morning!

Blueberry Buckle
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup mil
1 egg
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
blend first 4 ingredients; melt and cool butter, mix with milk, and egg. combine and beat 30 seconds. carefully stir in blueberries; spread batter in pan (I use a 9" round) and top with:

Crumble: 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup butter; mix ingredients until cumbly. Bake @ 350 for 40-50 minutes.
I love this coffe cake because it's not too sweet and the berries are mixed all through the batter. I like to eat it with a scoop of plain yogurt on the side!
try it some time-any day of the week.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Hey Darcie!
Blueberry Buckle is a recipe our family likes as well.
It is a standard from Aunt Lynda.
Same recipe.

Enjoy the weekend,
Dawn xo

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

YUM!
I'm going to be trying this soon with blueberries I have in the freezer! And GF/DF version of course! Can't wait to try it out!

Lisa said...

That looks like one delicious treat. Sounds like a great way to welcome in Sundays. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Cat said...

I realized I had all the ingredients for this and made it for my girls Friday. It was pretty much gone by noon Saturday! :) I ended up using mixed frozen berries and the result was fantastic.

Unknown said...

yes, a favorite around her as well.

Anonymous said...

just wanted you to know, I found your blog through Abi's and I really enjoy your insights. I [and my office] also loved your Blueberry Buckle recipe: http://foodmadesimple.tumblr.com/post/5122454429/blueberry-buckle