Tuesday, March 8, 2011

just a card in the box

My sister continues sorting boxes of keepsakes in our mother's garage-boxes of papers.
Recently she discovered a postcard addressed to me from my Nana Violet and mailed from California to Virginia in 1953. . .the find of the week!
My mother loved hand written letters, receiving-sending-saving.
And increasingly she distained electronic mail-
I kind of like it, myself. . .

But last week I sent a hand written note to an old friend here in town-
"I miss you, let's get together, I'm praying. . .call me!" I wrote (with my favorite pen)
And she did. The next day I listened to the sweet message she left on my phone,
"thanks for the note, I love the card-I can read it over and over, any time. that's nice!"
And in my mind I hear my mother's approval.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I think there is a really wonderful place for both... for speed and expediency email is so wonderful. But there is certainly a sweet little leap in my heart when I get the mail and there is a handwritten note or card from a friend... it is as precious as anything I can think of.

And thanks for the reminder... I should send more cards, knowing what a treat they are to receive!