Monday, March 28, 2011

bad advice-good advice

Last week during our Bible study discussion, this question came up, "what are some subtle ways that a Christian woman might give anti-God advice?"
One woman shared how years ago when she was very young in the faith, she was stuggling with desire to read her Bible; an older woman advised her to read romance novels-to help her get in the mood. .
Bad advice! (not too subtle)
"Did you take the advice?" we asked.
"No- but I started reading my Bible every day- even when I didn't feel like it. And pretty soon I realized that I had to read my Bible-it's who I am, the air I breathe."
hmmm, good advice. . . (I love that advice)
Now then, I have never counseled a woman to read romance novels, honest. . .but it makes me think, How have I subtly given anti-God advice?
I've been praying-Lord, give me more discernment, more humility. . .

2 comments:

Barbie Shadrick said...

Wow Darcie! This makes me think. It makes me remember that we will give an account of everything said before God. I hope that I've never given anti-God advice, and I also hope that I never will. Thanks for the post, it made me ponder on my words.

-Barbie

Caroline said...

Funny! Well actually what I said was yes I did read the christian romance novels but it didn't make me want to read my bible...it made me want to read more romance novels. When we moved to San Antonio someone shared with me that we don't read our bible to make God love us more, instead we read our bibles to make us love God more. So I knew that it wasn't about being in the mood. But rather it was about being faithful to read God's word and then you know what happened...eventually wanted to read my bible!