Thursday, March 10, 2011

And then she was 8. . .

This week I'm thinking about Rachel (happy birthday!). . .in my mother's saved papers, I discovered a little treasure- Rachel, age 8, narrating a father-daughter adventure:

I went with my papa for a 3 day walk. We walked over 4 mountains and 10 rivers.

I saw lots of red mud. I asked my papa if I could put it in my pocket and show it to Mama, but Papa said, "I don't think Mama would be very impressed by red mud!"

In Nanacatlan I went to school with my friend, Flor de Coral, for one day. We stayed overnight with Pedro and Josepha, and I made another friend. Josepha is kind. Once she made me a blouse like the Totonac ladies wear.

In Zongosotla they gave me sardines for breakfast. I gave them to Papa and he ate them all. I drank the rice atole and ate the tortillas. When I got home I was tired. Papa had to carry me a little. . .

What a plucky 8 year old! (from a mother's heart, right?). . . 4 mountains and 10 rivers-

she still dislikes sardines. . .

3 comments:

Dre Legit said...

That's one of my favorite pictures of them. :)

Happy bday Rach!!! :) I love her writing at age 8. Impressive. :)

Heather Pelczar said...

how I love her! Happy birthday to a treasure!

uncle bretty said...

Yeah, my wife was amazing even at 8 years old! We'll have to work on the sardines thing. She just hasn't had fresh sardines. (YUM!) Those canned ones aren't even sardines.