Saturday, January 22, 2011

travel one day. . . baby the next

I love my Dansko clogs. . .easy on and off, comfortable (stylish), great for 12 hours of plane travel and 4 airports, Texas to New York-in a day. And everything was snowy darkness when Abigail picked me up. . .Me, standing in my Danskos on the icy curb ( act like a New Yorker when in New York in January, right?)
How sweet to be here with Nathaniel, Abi and baby. . .I emailed John, " I'm here, but no signs of baby arriving soon- pray!"
Next morning I got up ready, washed my face, slipped on jeans, sweater, Danskos-and then I discovered that it was the baby's big day afterall, imagine that!
So Abi was doing the hardest work a woman ever does-like running a marathon- Mom, I wish I could push the pause button on this-hmmm, I vaguely remember.
Perhaps I encouraged endurance, trust-but I don't know. . .I was feeling so reflective, to think. . .I labored like this with her, and now 28 years later. . .oddly, I felt like I was doing part of the work- and with the final push there was sweet baby girl, born with dark hair just like her mother 28 years ago.
Feels like I just ran a 2 day marathon in my Dansko clogs ( in my 6th decade).
God is good and He gives endurance to the weak and faint. . .

3 comments:

Rachel said...

thank you for sharing this experience with us...seeing it through hour eyes makes it a little easier to bear the distance during this special time!

Dawn said...

Welcome to NY!
Such a welcome, yes?

Congratulations!
xo

Dre Legit said...

:) You made me a little teary-eyed.