Monday, January 17, 2011

Psalm 27 and a book in my bag

One thing I have asked from the Lord that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord.
hmmm, I love Psalm 27-the pages of my Bible in that spot are worn, wrinkled, written on-
I've been traveling a lot lately, and finally I'm facing up to the fact that I pack way too many books in my carry on bag. It looks like this. . . I settle my small self into the middle seat and then profusely apologize to the kind folks on either side as I wrestle in my bag, bumping them as I go. . .
I've resolved to carry less-so last month when I flew to California, I searched around here for a slim, light selection to tuck in my carry-on bag. From a stack of books that Rachel left behind, I choose A Shelter in the Time of Storm by Paul David Tripp (meditations on God and trouble from Psalm 27).
I considered, "I've never read it, everybody has troubles, I need God in the storms, and I love Psalm 27! "
So-I traveled to California and came home to Texas still readying this little book, determined to make Psalm 27 more my own.
Shelter in the Time of Storm includes 52 meditations, each about 2 pages long, concluding with 2 personal challenges. Last week I read meditation 26, "The Rejection of Rejection"- My father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in (vs 10) The author points to my Savior's rejection as the ultimate rejection and then asks this question: "In what ways would your practical, daily living change if you lived with a deep and lively sense of appreciation for the horror of the rejection Jesus faced for you?"
a worthy pursuit-I keep thinking about it. . .

3 comments:

Dre Legit said...

interestinnnng. I missed you today, I didn't see you. :/ Hope your trip to NY is wonderful while you await the beautiful arrival of another granbaby. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post as always. I am cheating here to let everyone know it is your birthday today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Love,
Donna

Yolanda said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy your new grandbaby.