Friday, January 28, 2011

bread rising 101


I've been making bread for a hundred years-almost. I love to grind the wheat, to mix, knead, shape, bake. . .and just like the Little Red Hen-eat it (but I share).
Bread from my kitchen doesn't always win the blue ribbon, but I keep making it and love to share tips and recipes with my girls.
Rachel and Abigail make bread up north in the chill of winter; Where's the best spot in your house for rising bread? I ask.
From frigid Indiana, Rachel says,"Upstairs in Brett's study, under the desk, in front of the heater vent." Imagine that?
And yesterday at Abi's house in upstate New York, I made bread -while snow fell steadily outside the kitchen window. Where to rise the dough? ". . . on the white chair, in the dining room, in front of the heat register", she instructed-good job.

We do it differently in Texas.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

We place ours on the back of the pellet stove.

Making pizza dough soon...for supper.

Unknown said...

I love it. I rise mine (when I make it) on my table in from of the sunny window...

Heather Pelczar said...

on the floor under the radiator by the kitchen window for regular. On top of the pre-heated oven (the warmed stove top) for gluten free. :)