Thursday, June 4, 2009

too much basil?

Early Tuesday morning I was working in the yard when a school bus stopped in front of our house. . . a noisy yellow school bus. . . in front of my house, imagine that?

So, the bus doors folded back and the driver called out to me, Your garden. . . It's amazing!
No children in the bus, only the bus driver and her assistant, so we had a pleasant chat,
"I gave away all my squash yesterday. . .come back on Friday, there should be more. . "

The bus driver described a neighborhood in her hometown in Alabama-one house had a lush front yard vegetable garden. . .
"the folks just put out a little can-you picked what you wanted and dropped loose change in the can."
hmmm, nice idea- not very practical in my neighborhood, but we'll see. . . .

There's so much basil in my garden, a bounty of basil-wish you could see it and take some home! So, I'm sharing my basil. . . and I'm making basil pesto. I've been researching and collecting pesto recipes and finally settled on Caroline's Pesto with a few adaptations. It's easy- I combine all the following ingredients in the bowl of my food processor:
3 cups fresh basil, packed
3/4 cup fresh parsley
2/3 cup toasted walnuts
4 or 5 large cloves fresh garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt, pepper to taste

Blend til smooth, add a little more olive oil if pesto is too dry. We add basil pesto to warm pasta, on french bread, spread on sandwitches. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Julie West said...

Darcie, your basil is beautiful! I posted a recipe that uses fresh basil on your "Community Garden" post. Wish I had some of that basil here. It's really expensive at the store and mediocre quality.

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

Is this the recipe you used last wed night?
That was good pesto! :-)

Dawn said...

RE/the response you gave to my 52Q-23 post: You expressed it perfectly!!!
AMEN!

note to self: get s basil plant.
!!!
Love that stuff.

godnov said...

We will be sure to try this recipe! We love making fresh pesto and slathering it on foccacia (made from the recipe you gave us years ago).

Thanks for the children's book post as well! Love getting more ideas for good books!

Thanks, Darcie!!

Unknown said...

I could have used some basil tonight with my pasta...we went without because "how can I go to the store and pay for basil when Gran has sooooo much in her garden!" We'll get some next time we see you maybe!

carol said...

SO cool - the garden - its usefulness in touching other people. My teeny tiiiny squirrel ransacked Alabama garden is overflowing with 2 things: parsley and basil. I can't wait to try your recipe.