Friday, June 5, 2009

Preparing my house. . .

Last week I was an industrious woman- preparing my house for a hospitality opportunity.
So, I swept and mopped, cleaned the bathrooms, decluttered, arranged the furniture, counted the chairs and places to sit around the tables. . .
I prepared my part of the meal, and dessert, set up the table for coffee, another for drinks, ice. . .prepared the plates, cups, utensils. . .you know how all that goes.
Next I set out the crayons and paper, books, blocks, an assortment of toy cars-to prepare for the children who would come to my house. . .

And we had a wonderful gathering-adults, teens, children, toddlers. A cool breeze for the house, just enough food, bocce ball after the meal, singing, worthy conversations, a missionary couple sharing the Lord's work. . .delightful fellowship, folks stayed late-it was lovely!
The next morning I was reading Psalm 19, praying, and I was convicted. . . I had been diligent to prepare what others see, my house. . . but careless to prepare what only God sees, my heart. How quickly I succumbed to the temptation to thoughts, to attitudes which elevate self and dishonor the Lord. . .but today's a new day, with a fresh opportunity to guard my heart, to honor the Lord, " Keep back your servant from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me!. . .Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer" (Psalm 19:13-14)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

How convicting! I love being hospitable... but you're right, I often spend a lot of time and energy and put a lot of thought into preparing my home for my guests... but not nearly enough time into preparing my heart before the Lord. What selfish, sinful creatures we are!

Julie West said...

OOOHHHH! I'll have to keep that in mind when you come to visit! Will you excuse a not-so-prepared house if I've taken more time to prepare my heart? :-)Seriously though, thank you for sharing that. Pride and self consciousness seem to be particularly difficult sin struggles for me right now.

Naomi Smith said...

oh mom! this is SO me!

Kelly said...

With so many opportunities to open our home -- be it to overnight guests or neighborhood boys -- this is such a good reminder for me, Darcie. Prepare the heart!! Yet, truly, this challenge hits every single area of my life....before I begin my day serving my family -- prepare my heart. Before I have a conversation with another -- prepare my heart. Before I begin overseeing the children's ministry -- prepare my heart!! I'm lovin' it! <3