Sunday, June 21, 2009

a conversation in my kitchen. . .

Last week I had a conversation with a young woman; I was cooking, listening, and talking in my very warm kitchen- the conversation was good. She asked me how John and I met, how he proposed-you know, the whole story. . .

then she asked me, "Did you ever think you married the wrong man?"

hmmm. . . doesn't every woman think that at least once in her married life? I've been asked that question before; I always answer, . . . once you're married, he's the right man and it's for life!

John and I were young believers when we married 37 years ago, barely taking those first steps of faith, just nibbling on the truths of God's Word. . .but we were hungry to know the Saviour-

So, last week I told the dear girl in my kitchen that the pursuit of a strong marriage is fueled by the pursuit of the fear of the Lord. . . that through marriage we have the amazing opportunity to display the beauty of the Gospel.

The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever (Ps 19: 9)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wonderful answer! I have always been quick to share, as well, that the strength of your marriage has very little to do with how much you love that person and are committed to that marriage, but the strength of your marriage has everything to do with how committed we are to fearing and obeying the Lord! :)