Wednesday, June 24, 2009

first consider the interest of another

Last Saturday the perdicted heat index for San Antonio was 103 degrees, so I grabbed my book bag and headed for a quiet, cool spot. I ended up at my favorite library close to home, a library in an old house.
So- I found one empty chair in the periodical room and settled down with my book bag. 10 minutes into my study time, a woman with a cell phone began a loud conversation on the other side of the room partition-very loud, very personal. . .on and on it dragged, folks nearby twittered, coughed, cleared throats. . .

Sigh--I put down my books and pulled out my knitting. 30 minutes passed and finally the loud phone talker moved on; once more the library was cool. . . . quiet. Ah, yes, back to the books . . .

I was concentrating, counting stitches-and barely noticed a woman who entered the room and reached for the newspaper on the shelf in front of my chair. She circled the room, stopped, and announced to me, "I need your chair; I have to study and you are just knitting."

I stared at her, "Oh, you need to use your lap top here in this spot?" I asked (why did I say that? there was no lap top connection nor table around my chair. . .)

"Oh, no, I need to do research in today's newspaper and you are just knitting" she repeated

I didn't say another word, because I didn't know what to say, but there were words in my mind. . . is there a sign, no knitting allowed! . . . is newspaper reading more worthy than sweater knitting?. . .you don't understand, the loud woman with the cell phone. . .

I was stuck in my indecision- the woman in the chair next to mine was reading a book, and she said to me kindly, "she can have my chair."

This little incident happened over a week ago, but it keeps rattling around inside of me. . . and why? I'm thankful that I didn't return her rudeness with my own rudeness, thankful that I kept my mouth shut- but why didn't I just give her my seat? afterall, blessed are the meek. . .but there's more to it than just meekly giving up my seat to a rude woman with a newspaper; my motivation can't merely be meekness. If I could redo it-how could my response to this woman compliment the gospel? I'm wrestling with that question-and over coffee, I've been asking around; one young friend suggested, " I might say, Jesus tells me to consider others before myself, so I'd be glad to give up my seat". . . hmmm, that's good, so what would you do?


. . . with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself (Phil 2:3)

3 comments:

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

What WOULD I do or what SHOULD I do???? :) I fear, I too, might not find these things to be consistent.

Yet, I think a response "worthy of the gospel would be one similar to what is said in Colossians 4:2-6.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving, praying at the same time for us as well, that God may open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned; in order that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak. Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person."

How wonderful it would be for us to be so Christ centered that we are so naturally other centered! That our speech, full of grace, might be able to ask cheerfully, "Research? How interesing...do you mind if I ask, what you are researching and studying?" And then from here, couldn't you see how God might open a door to share the gospel??? After listening to her, being able to share -- "I found myself knitting because there was a lady talking on her phone so loud that I couldn't concentrate on my studying either...I was studying........" -- aw, yes....an open door for the gospel! :)

Ah, yes....I am reminded...I must DEVOTE MYSELF TO PRAYER -- keeping alert with an ongoing attitude of thanksgiving.

Oh, you sharpen me Darcie to think -- may it prepare my heart to be ready for when I am asked to "give up my seat" to another!!!!!

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

Oye, sadly I might of opened my mouth and said something back... sigh... and if not, I would of for sure grumbled in my heart!!! Seeking a humble heart!
Love ya!