Friday, May 29, 2009

more children's books. . .

A friend asked me to post more children's book recommendations-certainly, happy to oblige!

I'm remembering. . . 22 years ago when my 7th child was in the womb, his siblings begged to name him Obadiah. . .an idea no doubt prompted by their affection for the Obadiah books.

I'm familiar with three books written and illustrated by Brinton Turkle about little Obadiah Starbuck. The stories are set in colonial America, on Nantucket Island where Obadiah lives with his Quaker family- six brothers and sisters, his wise father and kind mother.

Our copies of Obadiah the Bold and Thy Friend, Obadiah are worn. . .really worn from lots of handling, sharing, reading over the years. Rachel and Obadiah, tells the story of some sibling competition among the little Starbucks-I think this one is my favorite.

Good books! and the lovely watercolor illustrations help little ones retell the story without even reading the words. All three books are available for purchase through Amazon.com, perhaps at your local library, and if you're my close neighbor, drop by and borrow the two in the picture-and stay to visit over coffee. . .

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I have not heard of these...but I was unfamiliar with Anne of Green Gables until I was an adult.
Not sure what rock I was living under back in the day.
I read all the time, but that author missed the radar.
I will recommend the Obadiahs to my daughter and son for the grands.
Thanks, Darcie.
xo

XLT said...

I wish I could pop over for some coffee and let the boys peruse your bookshelves! We are making regular trips to the library (about every week, normally) and I'm running out of books to recommend or look for. We've discovered some new series and read some classics, but I'm on the lookout for good books. Especially for the twins. They are 8, but reading I'm guessing 4th grade stuff? so any more ideas would be greatly appreciated...:) thanks!
Priscilla