Saturday, May 23, 2009

a community garden?

It was about 7:30 a.m. one morning last week-I was working in our vegetable garden and my neighbor stopped her car, "I made calabazita last night-soooo good with your fresh squash-I'm taking the leftovers for lunch today-thanks!"

Hmmm. . .this neighbor and I, we rarely talk-she liked the squash and stopped on her way to work to chat with me. . .
We've always cultivated vegetables in a backyard plot, however this year for my birthday Luke built this raised garden bed for the front yard-a design copied from a garden we both admired in his old neighborhod in Durham, North Carolina.

I rather like creative vegetable gardening in the front yard (reminds me of California in the 60's!), my crop is so visable-so public.
So, working in my very public garden, I wonder, how can I love my neighbors well because of the gospel and for the sake of the gospel. . .

Now there's a lovely stack of zuchinni and yellow crook neck squash, piled on the table, a variety of shapes, sizes-hmmm, today, with which of my neighbors can I share the bounty-with a vision to share the gospel, the greatest bounty. . .

"Teacher, which is the great comandment in the Law? and Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. . .and you shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22: 36-39)

3 comments:

Abigail said...

what a great idea! hmmm - both the courgettes in the front garden in raised boxes and practical way you are loving the neighbors, good reminder for me!

Lydia said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know, I have a blog now! =) I haven't posted anything yet, but I'm hoping to soon!! ;)

Julie West said...

Darcie, I love your beautiful garden! We didn't do one this year and I miss it so much! I just wanted to share a recipe that we tried last night, because it uses some of those yummy garden vegetables you have!

Tomato Salad with Red Onion and Basil

3 T. red wine vinegar
4 t. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dijon mustard
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
Whisk these together to make the dressing.

4 tomatoes thinly sliced
1 red onion thinly sliced
1/3 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves, shredded
Toss these with the dressing and refrigerate covered.

Enjoy! It's tastes so fresh, and keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.
I have another one that I will share with you soon! It uses yellow squash and zucchini.
(this recipe is from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook pg.111)