Thursday, May 28, 2009

simply kindness

Older women. . .teach and encourage the young women. . . to be kind. (Titus 2:3-5)

Last week Francey and I talked about "The Rewards of Kindness", one of my favorite chapters in Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney.
It seems so basic, so simple-just Be Kind. . .Why, then, is it so hard-why such a struggle to be kind to those we love the most?

Sigh. . . reflecting on the past-the years raising my family, I wish I had been kinder-but the past is past. . . by God's grace I can choose today to be kind. Recently a friend asked, What's your favorite Bible verse? Hmmm. . . the verse God is using in my life at the moment!

Keep (watch over) your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life (Prov 4:23)

I keep discovering that it's all about my heart. I can generate a form of kindness-closing my mouth to a sharp retort, purposing loving deeds, a patient tone, a cheerful countenance-that's all good. . . while it lasts; besides, focusing on behavior never honors the Lord.

So-when daily life squeezes, what flows out of my heart? At the moment of temptation, what do I love more than I love the Savior, more than I desire to please Him alone? Keep your heart with all diligence. . . . and in the end my kindness comments the gospel.
What is desireable in a man is his kindness (Prov 19:22)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Wow! What a great post!!! Although I'm not a wive or mother yet, your talking about every believer, right? To be kind, for all believers to be kind, not just wives and mothers? I have to agree, Proverbs 4:23 is such a good verse! And now one of my favorite verses! =) Thank you so much for posting this, I needed to hear it! =D

Naomi Smith said...

mom . . . I am with you on this one; I want to be kinder! thanks for the reminder.