Friday, September 27, 2013

one about words

One day last week a friend sent me an email, asking my thoughts on Proverbs 18:21
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue and those who love it will eat its fruit."

So, I"ve been thinking about it. . .how this truth plays out practically in my life percolates inside-still.
I've witnessed how my words can either destroy or give life. I love the power produced or the affect my words have on others, and finally, I will taste the consequences of my words, for good or bad.

If I speak impatiently to my husband, in my sin I love the power my words produce.
But then I will eat the fruit. . . perhaps my husband will be impatient with me in return or he may grow distant from me; and certainly, if I am sensitive to the Holy Spirit's conviction, I will eat the fruit of shame for using my words to kill.

Every other week I get an injection at a local clinic; my appointment is just a nurses visit, and when the clinic is busy, sometimes I'm overlooked (little me sitting there with my book or knitting!).
One morning a few months ago, I waited, waited my turn and finally I spoke irritated words to the attendants at the desk. . ."I have been waiting a very long time; do you realize how often you forget me?"
 I loved the power of my words at the moment I spoke them, but then. . .  I ate the fruit of shame and embarrassment and the most wretched and bitter fruit -- I dishonored the Lord.

Ahhh, it seems that my sin is ever before me, but so is God's grace. . .encouragement, refreshment, revival, life is in the power of the tongue-
and I love its good fruit.

 They told us, "we have to talk privately. . .to work it out!"

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I have a mother and a mother-in-law who love the Lord, but not a grandmother. I pray frequently for spiritual elders (as all of my family lives far way) and am so blessed to have stumbled upon your musings. Thank you for sharing your heart and your wisdom here. It blesses me so very much!

Vanessa said...

I have a mother and a mother-in-law who love the Lord, but not a grandmother. I pray frequently for spiritual elders (as all of my family lives far way) and am so blessed to have stumbled upon your musings. Thank you for sharing your heart and your wisdom here. It blesses me so very much!

Dawn said...

Always a worthy read to ponder......