Monday, September 23, 2013

time to give



 Basting is the final step before adding the tiny stitches to create a quilt; this one is for Titus who is already
 9 months old. .  slow but steady, I'll finish by his birthday.
Perhaps I'm a slow but steady grandmother-I totter a bit when trying to figure out exactly how to be one.
I know a few things . . .to give my grandchildren time and affection, to read and play, to share the gospel,  to show them how I love the Lord Jesus, to pray for them-and for their parents.
 
3 grandchildren live near and 11 live far away (actually I'm waiting to meet the 2 tiniest boys).
My grandmother Paula lived near during my little years and my grandmother Violet lived near during my middle years. I'm remembering my dear grandmothers and wondering how they stayed close even when far away.
 Lord, teach me . . . stitching quilts for my grandchildren is the easy part.

Last month a friend asked me to spend "grandmother time" with her children. of course- I have time to give.
So, one afternoon I packed some books in my bag and drove across town for a visit.
I listened to piano practice and recitations; we drank tea, ate sweets, and practiced knitting.
They sat close as I opened James Herriot's Treasury for Children. I read Moses the Kitten and Bonnie's Big Day and when we couldn't decide what to do next, I suggested we cast lots.
Really? they questioned,
"Sure, it's what we do at our house." I assured them.

Tomorrow  I'll carry Benjamin West and his Cat Grimilkin in my bag. . .(they will love it)


To be a grandmother, a woman should walk by faith--and be meek.



6 comments:

dre said...

And to think that in your first journal 'thoughts on motherhood' you wrote about being a new mother and how it would look to be a grandmother one day.... 14 grandchildren later... it's such a beautiful picture. :)

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to ask if we could borrow Benjamin West and his cat Grimalkin. One of the artists that Rachel is going to study this year is West. As soon as I saw that, I told her, "Aunt Darcie has a book we need to read!"

Jamey said...

Adalyn asked today, "When will Gran and Granpapi come visit again? I am realllly missing them." Soon I told her, real soon and until then we can face time.

Dawn said...

Your handmade gifts for your grands are just so unique and special. It is nice that your children love the gifts you make for their children.

Unknown said...

and you make double batches of blondies and leave us with the extras...

Unknown said...

and you make double batches of blondies and leave us with the extras...