Friday, September 20, 2013

He loves righteousness and justice. . .


I'm reading through a favorite portion of Scripture, Psalms 31-37.
We use to sing Psalms 32 and 33 in church with our children- and even now in my mind I  sing . . . 
for the word of the Lord is upright, and all His work is done in faithfulness. He loves righteousness and justice. 

I'm spending time with a good friend, a woman who personally knows the crush of human injustice.
I read Psalm 35 the other day, thought of my friend's situation and I prayed. . .

O Lord, fight against those who fight against me.
Take hold of buckler and shield, and rise up for my help. . .
Let their way be dark and slippery- for without cause they dug a pit for my soul.
Let destruction come upon him unawares; let the net which he hid catch himself . . .

Do not let them say, "We have swallowed him up!"
Let those be ashamed and humiliated altogether who rejoice at my distress. . .

Honestly, I surprised myself. . . perhaps I've never prayed with such vehemence?

 I turned to Psalm 37 and discovered my friend's name penciled in the margin of my old Bible, dated 2003.
Do not fret because of  evil doers. . .for they will wither quickly like the grass and fade like the green herb. Trust in the Lord and do good. . .

So, that day I called my friend, "dear one, remember, God has proved himself faithful to you for 10 years, and longer, and still. . .



No comments: