Wednesday, September 11, 2013

about 2 mothers. . .

In our family, birthdays cluster in September.
So, last week, in my 90 degree kitchen, I strategized how to make a good crust for Gabrielle's birthday pie.

Step 1:  this time I began the process at dawn-the dough came together nicely and I slipped the flat little disks in the fridge to chill-
(then it was break time at Bird Bakery-2 mothers, Gabrielle, and our cheeky boy)


Step 2: I cooled my table top with ice blocks, rolled out the dough in a flash, transferred the lovely sheets from pie plate to refrigerator; working in shifts, I  avoided a melting buttery mess.
I added the rhubarb filling, the top crust and baked it. . . (just like the cooking shows, yes?)

Martha and I (2 mothers) joined forces in the evening, she contributed birthday dinner and I brought  dessert.
At the end of it all, we gathered up our washed pots and baking dishes, hugged all around-
And Amaleah exclaimed, " The 2 mothers are here together- both the grandmothers, and they're friends!"

God weaves families- I'm grateful for Gabrielle. . .and her mother.

4 comments:

naomi said...

:)

Unknown said...

aww. I love my moms.

Denise said...

Your family is an inspiration to our little clan. I pray I can be dear friends with my children's in-laws as well one day. :)

menewton said...

so many amazing memories of zamber and newton mom tortilla soup lunches, sewing days and movie dates!