Sunday, September 15, 2013

Even in laughter. . .

Last week I spent an afternoon with Suzanne; we drove to a medical facility and during her procedure, I pulled my chair close to her recliner.
My friend has cancer; talk was deep and open for both of us that afternoon. Perhaps cancer provokes transparency, but then Suzanne is like that anyway- 

Today I almost missed Proverbs 14:13- the words cling to the edge of a shredded page in my Bible.
Even in laughter the heart may be in pain and the end of joy may be grief.

I shared rich conversation with Suzanne last week, but what about the woman I greet walking at the park?  or the nurse who gives my injection every other Monday? or the woman sitting a row in front of me at church, or the one I disciple. . . . or my children?

laughter and pain, joy and grief. . .incongruous- but real in a world broken by sin.
Proverbs  14:13 begs me to go a little deeper, to listen, to notice, to ask about the inside. . .

 to admit that it can be true for me too, Even in laughter the heart may be in pain.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

so true. what a wonderful verse--prodding us on to deeper transparency with each other. figuring out how to get there is always the challenge for me; what questions to ask, etc. so much to learn!