Monday, August 22, 2011

love in the Gospel. . .

Today John started back to school-prepared to hug weeping 4 year olds.
And Mercy went back to college on Saturday, after a consult with the optometrist.
"Yes, you do need vision correction-wear your glasses all day!" he said. Sigh, she probably needed glasses years ago (she's #8 . . . )

Mercy and I traveled to California for Molly's wedding, just the 2 of us. Mercy meets people, puts herself out there; one evening she got to know Eddie's family-some of them don't speak English. I love that about her.
So, on the flight home we shared people stories.
Mercy and the cousins talked about worldview and practical faith, about living selflessly or selfishly-how does it look?
(where was I during that worthy pursuit? I was distracted by mountains of fresh peaches.)
We talked and I had an opinion- the topic under youthful examination seemed clearly defined, but maybe not-
So, I've been thinking,"do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit. . ."
These days John and I are doing an unselfish deed. . .outwardly I appear totally, radically unselfish. But in my mind sometimes I hear ghastly selfish thoughts, feelings-shocking!
I can't make myself be more selfless-
Heart, remember God's love in the Gospel. . .
"We who live in him are no longer to live for ourselves, not even for our good record, our family's approval, or our clean conscience. We are to live for Him who for our sake died and was raised." (2 Cor 5:15)
Ah, so totally unselfish. . .

No comments: