Monday, August 1, 2011

in Indiana. . .

Brett amd Rachel live in a home that once belonged to Brett's grandparents; they live with Dave, Brett's Dad. It's small town Indiana-the house sits on a highway, and across the highway, a university. The flower bed along the house is new-I love its curve and the perennials that Dave chose to fill the bed.

Tuesday evening we walked to the nursing home where LaVerne, Brett's mom, lives. LaVerne has early onset Alzhiemer's-she's my age, our birthdays are 2 weeks apart.
Dave and LaVerne married in 1972, just like John and me- almost 40 years of marriage for them, for us.
-over 5 years ago Dave and LaVerne began a journey with Alzhiemer's.
These days Rachel cooks in LaVerne's kitchen; last week we cooked together.
Memories of my own first years of marriage flooded in. . .the same yellow tupperware, small flowers on white Corning Ware.
Photos of young Dave and LaVerne picture little Brett sandwitched between 2 sisters. In the 70's LaVerne sewed a polyester leisure suit for Dave. . . while I embroidered on denim for John.
We all followed Jesus. . .

LaVerne sits with us on the patio at the nursing home on Tuesday; she wears 2 bracelets-lavender, her favorite color.
Brett asks, "Mom, do you remember who gave you those lavender bracelets? David! He's your husband, do you remember?"
Then I wonder, Does LaVerne understand that her dear son is married. . .married to my daughter?
Sometimes words like confused-helpless-broken sceam in my mind.
Heart, remember redemption, the cross, blood shed for me, for her. . .and faithfulness
I think about faithfulness in marriage, of Dave's testimony to love and care for his wife, for 39 years, into the unknown, til the end. . . and of God's faithfulness to LaVerne and Dave, to John and me, into the unknown, til the end. . .All the way my Saviour leads me, Cheers each winding path I tread, Gives me grace for every trial, Feeds me with the living bread. Though my weary steps may falter, And my soul a thirst may be, gushing from the Rock before me, Lo! a spring of joy I see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wasn't wanting to get all teary-eyed right now--I'm trying to cook dinner! thanks for the tender post

Anonymous said...

All the way my Savior leads me, cheers each winding path I tread.
"Cheers" is a tender and dear word in that and it helps me.
Vicki Schrauger