Thursday, August 4, 2011

cooking, critiquing, and more

This isn't a cooking blog, really. . .but then women cook together, cook and talk. I do that a lot.
So, in Indiana Rachel and I made a key lime pie. Brett squeezed all the key limes. We ate it and critiqued it. . .
Brett made a few gracious suggestions for next time. Dave ate it up-no critique (but I think Dave is content with whatever Rachel cooks for him).
The next morning I offered to make scones-my recipe.
"I think the recipe is in my head." I told Rachel.
"After last night's pie-I don't trust you. . ." she said.
hmm, I thought I'd posted the recipe on this "non-cooking" blog, but I guess not-so here goes:

Darcie's Cranberry Scones
(this recipe comes from Southern Living, but I've been making it for a long, long time. . .)
2 cups flour
2 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or more)
Mix the dry ingredients, cut in butter til crumbly, add cranberries, mix in buttermilk.
Pat dough into an 8" round on floured surface, cut into 8 pie wedges, place on lightly greased baking sheet, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes. (careful not to over bake)

3 comments:

Denise said...

I can't wait to make your scones! Yea for recipes on your non-cooking blog!

patricia said...

I agree with Denise. I love the recipes you have posted on your non cooking blog. I made the cranberry ones last night but substituted dried blueberries as that was what I had. As always magnifique!!

Unknown said...

We have been enjoying this recipe for years! Thanks!