Monday, June 13, 2011

boys, boys, boys (I love em)

Sunday evening I was alone in my quiet house and the phone rang twice. My 3 boys were mountain biking in another city that evening. . .
Call #1: The youngest had flown over the handle bars on a downhill and his brother called me, "We think he broke his collar bone or dislocated his shoulder. . .he's okay but he doesn't have his insurance card-could you text the info?"
(then I remembered a phone call from a different boy, on a Sunday evening 5 years ago, "Mom, I crashed on my bike, remember my nice straight teeth?")
Aye, boys! I thought

Call #2: So, I hung up with my boys and answered a call from a friend, the mother of 3 boys. . .I heard her sweet voice, "I wanted to tell you about my youngest, he's 18. . ."


What do I tell her? . . .just what I remind myself-

Don't worry, trust God (nothing will happen to my boy that is outside of God's soverign control)

Share truth with him-and be humble

Listen a lot- and don't talk so much.

Pray, of course, and tell him. . .

Love him with words and deeds (notes and gifts cards are good) -love is patient, kind, not arrogant. . .bears all, believes all, hopes all. . .

Be more concerned with my own heart before God than with his.

So-I prayed with my friend, for us both,

Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension , shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:6,7)


hmmm, a quiet evening at home, I thought, and 2 good phone calls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for this timely encoragement; I needed to hear this today. I am quick to react and correct with too many words. Trust God...listen more...talk less...be humble (repeat). Thank-you for taking the time to blog!

What a treasure of a picture!

Denise said...

I, too, needed to hear this today.

Thanks, Darcie

Dawn said...

Good counsel....
Even more so after they have flown the nest.

Unknown said...

okay so you are one for secrets...didn't know about miah's bike mishap! but indeed, encouraging. especially the part about being more concerned about my own heart before God, and not just his/or hers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darcie,
I had caffeine tonight... and hence....I am STILL awake....
I am reading through your blog. You & your blog are always a peaceful blessing. I especially needed this entry. Thank you so much for the instruction. I greatly needed the encouragement. Have a wonderful time traveling!
Love,
Donna