Wednesday, February 9, 2011

to shovel and park

I taught my children a variety of life skills: how to tie their shoes, hold a pencil, thread a needle, knead bread. . .but I didn't teach them one single thing about snow.
So, one day last week Nathaniel snuggled the baby and nudged Abi and me out the door for a little refreshment. Then I learned some snow etiquette from my sweet daughter.
for instance-if you wake up in the morning and thick snow blankets your small car, take your snow brush and swish, swipe, swish off the snow-even off the roof, so that your snow doesn't blow onto the windshield of the car behind you. . .hmm, makes sense.
later Abi manuvered her car back home into a snowy parking spot, "Another tenant can park there. . .if he shovels." she said.
If he shovels?

It's like this: shovel. . .and meet the neighbor.
That evening we met a new neighbor from the building next door; she was standing in the snow, in the dark. . .looking for a shovel.

"We have shovels right inside this door-wait a minute and I'll help you shovel," Nathaniel offered.

So, I'm learning from them -about life in the snow. . . and more.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

as always, the best parts (for me) of your travels are the stories and pictures that you share with the rest of us!