Thursday, February 17, 2011

about grandmothers and mittens

(thumbless mittens for our wee girl up north )

Sometimes I suprise Gabrielle and the grandchildren with a weekday visit; if it's lunch time, they invite me to share their good food. Then maybe Amaleah narrates a little school work and I ask Julia, Want me to read you a book?

I like to read my favorites, but Julia has favorites too. . . the other day I was firm about my choice, The Mitten by Jan Brett.

So- Baba, the grandmother in the story, wears a crown of braids and a brightly embroidered outfit-she knits mittens for Nikki, her grandson-white mittens, and just as she suspects, one mitten is lost in the clean, white snow. . .

(Gran, you were going to knit us mittens, green for Amaleah and pink for me-you forgot, interrupts Julia. . . I read on.)

However, the woodland creatures, both tiny and huge, claim Nikki's snow white mitten, squeezing their bodies in. . . "It was pulled and bulged to many times its size. But Baba's good knitting held fast." (ahh, what a knitter!)
. . . squeezed in and cozy until the bear's colossal sneeze.

Today is my Julia's birthday. . .mmm, maybe next year there will be pink mittens (it's almost spring in Texas!)
But there's something on the sewing machine I think she'll like.
And a new book. . . for us both.

3 comments:

Dre Legit said...

That is one of my FAVORITE books as well! :)))

Mercy Newton said...

thoes girls remember EVERYTHING you say!!

Unknown said...

Yes, they do remember!!! And the skirt was worn until bathtime tonight, and loved. And I'm looking forward to the book you chose. Now it's my turn for a Julia's Birthday post...