Wednesday, April 21, 2010

basque cuisine and dinner conversation

I knew dinner at the Sidreria (cider house) would be late, because Spanish dinning is late- we arrived at 8 PM and our group of 8 was first to be seated.
And we experienced Basque cuisine. . .I remember the rustic ambience, the spirited server, the food-cider, cod, cuajada-all wonderful. (you ask, what is cuajada? kind of like plain yogurt, or milk curd-served with honey for dessert-I loved it!)
but mostly I remember the dinner conversation-for you see, the young people came with a dinner conversation agenda for John and me. . .Marriage
How can we strengthen our marriage? deal with conflict? stay close after years and years? prepare and wait for marriage?
. . .so the questions came- I'm honored they consider us credible to even talk on the subject-37 years married doesn't necessarily qualify one, right?
And the worthy conversation was in Spanish-I felt my limits stretched-felt frustration that I couldn't always say exactly what was in my mind; hmmm, maybe that's best since many words often muddy the waters. . .
the pursuit of oneness in marriage is purposeful work, always- with me constantly looking to my own heart-for I'm a sinner, and so is the dear man I married. . .
I'm reading a really good book, When Sinners Say "I do" (Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage) by Dave Harvey.
So, thinking about John and me, sinners, redeemed sinners-the author reminds us that building a strong marriage is all about living the Gospel, "When sin becomes bitter, marriage becomes sweet. . .by the gospel we understand that, although saved, we remain sinners; through the gospel we receive power to resist sin. . .the gospel is the fountain of a thriving marriage."
hmmm, I think I'll be writing more posts about marriage and this good book.
(and young folks. . . thanks for taking us out for a memorable basque meal-and thanks for the questions.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great book! Just that little snippet makes me want to read it. Is it on the book cart?

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

such a GOOD quote ... "when sin becomes bitter, marriage becomes sweet" it sounds like a good read.

I'm putting that book on my list of books to borrow from the library. :)