Saturday, March 27, 2010

Do you have eggs?

Ed and Dinah-Caroline, Wyatt, Melanie Kate, Jefferson- we've been friends for 15 years. The United States Air Force is the ticket for world travel for our friends-mainly we've kept in touch long distance, but sometimes we meet, like in an airport or a restaurant. . . two years ago John and I stayed with Ed and Dinah in D.C.- the boys remember our visit to the Air and Space Museum; I remember that Dinah's washing machine was broken-she was gracious and cheerful. Most of all we remember the deepest conversations shared about our Lord and life.
Last year our friends lived in Hawaii, next year Alaska. . .but for a 6 month interlude they reside in central London, Imagine that?
So, on the day of our arrival in London, after a bit of refreshment and still wobbley from jet lag, we boarded the train again at Bromley station along with Nathaniel and Abi. . .oh, so thankful for young ones to lead the way! We found Ed and Dinah's flat just a glance from Victoria Station. Jefferson came down the elevator to meet us-cute Jefferson barefoot in chilly London, "I'm use to Hawaii," he announced.
And after dinner Ed passed around the box of chocolates-a big box that Nathaniel had picked out at the train station-mmmm, English chocolates. . . another pass around the table-and worthy talk.
Dinah told Abi and me about her hospitality opportunities in London.
"I want to get better at hospitality," she said.
Really? I thought, you're leaving at 4 A M for France tomorrow, and here we are at your house for dinner tonight!
but I love her heart's desire to excel still more. . .
Then Dinah shared a memory about our mutual friend, Amy-one that I've tucked away. . .a memory of a morning years ago when Dinah and Amy were together with their children-it was lunch time but no food for lunch.
Do you have eggs? encouraged Amy, we can make egg salad and still be together. . .
hmmm, just eggs- and simple wisdom.
So, if you drop by, I'll have eggs. . .
(Ed and Dinah, we love you all-thanks for sharing yourselves, always)

3 comments:

The Thomas Troops said...

You are so dear to my heart Darcie Newton...our God is so good!

Rachel said...

Thank you for this delightful story, Mom. I'm so glad to have you and Dinah (and Amy and Naomi and Abi!) as example of generous and warm hospitality -- hospitality in which the guest (and not the little details that make up the event) are the focus...

Amy Allert said...

This story made me cry, I miss you all so much...
What a blessing and a gift you are, and what a huge vacuum is left behind when you are gone...irreplaceable and priceless...I thank God for you!
love, as always...
amy