Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Adele and Simon in my book bag

Rachel was hunting for good books for little Selma- she showed me Adele and Simon by Barbara McClintock and right away I loved it!
Set in early 20th century Paris, Adele's task is to meet her little brother at school and walk him safely home; that she does, however, along the way Simon scatters all his belongings, one by one- afterall, Paris teems with astounding sights to grab a little boys attention.
Adele and Simon in America is my recent book find-a gift for Julia's 4th birthday. . .this time Adele and Simon sail across the ocean to New York City to visit their Aunt Cecile; they prepare for a grand train trip around America, and as Simon packs his treasures: journal, pencil box, cowboy hat, tin drinking cup, canteen, binoculars, map, red suspenders. . . Adele tells her brother with a sigh, "Please try not to loose anything on our trip!" You can just imagine. . .(hmmm, a little fellow just like Simon grew up at 2305 St. Anthony.)
I love the author's illustrations- detailed pen and ink, warm watercolors, providing an "eye spy" aspect to search for Simon's lost belongings.
If you find either lovely book, I'm certain you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Grandma sent me "Adele and Simon" when I was living in Spain. What simple joy.

Rachel said...

Mom -- I´ve been taking the kids´ books to school with me! First James Herriott and Little Sal, most recently ¨Snipp, Snapp and Snurr.¨ I have the students tell me (in English) what they think is happening in the pictures, and although they chuckle their way through the stories, I KNOW they´re enjoying them! Yesterday´s class said to me, ¨We did´t get to finish the story about the little kitten Moses -- You need to bring the book back...¨

I promised them I would, of course. How can one say ¨no¨ when they´re asking for more??