Saturday, January 31, 2009

two bags and a good book

A few months ago I wrote a post about my book bag, a sturdy yet rather shabby blue backpack containing a treasure of good books. So, my family bought me a new book bag for Christmas. . .

The dear one who drew my name for family gift exchange chose a lovely green bag, rectangular with shoulder strap-however, another member insisted that a wool messenger bag- charcoal grey, would be my first choice. So, I am a blessed woman. . . and fashionable-like the woman who changes purses to match her outfit- one month, or season, my sporty green bag and the next the handsome grey one, imagine that!

The Gospel Primer for Christians, by Milton Vincent, is a good book in my new bag; I'm quite aware that when I totter in my walk of faith, often it's because I forget the gospel-I've set the gospel on a spiritual shelf, saved there to share with a non-believer while its vitality in my own life has dimmed. But the gospel IS the main point for Christian living! The gospel is the old old story, and brought into the present tense, its vibrant truth should color my daily life.

Milton Vincent's small book is a wonderful resource; Part I, Reasons to Rehearse the Gospel Daily includes 31 brief selections which remind and direct me to the practical blessings of rehearsing the gospel daily. Parts II & III contain A Gospel Narrative, both a prose and poetic version. And at the bottom of every page there are Scripture references which support the truth recorded.


So, over the past six months I've grown to love this primer; I carry it side by side with my Bible, using it as a worthy tool, helping me to preach the gospel to myself every day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a lucky, or blessed, woman! I need that book too!

Kelly said...

I was just looking at my notes from the women's luncheon when you shared on these thoughts....Love reminding myself of these truths!

1) Who is God and how has He shown me His love?

2) Who am I -- Christ is my LIFE -- other things don't define me. I MUST be consummed with a passion of living for Christ and leaving that as an example/inheritance to my children.

3) What does my neighbor need -- does Christ love compel me!

We battle sin with the gospel! This I know...I am a GREAT sinner and Christ is a GREAT Savior!!