Saturday, February 7, 2009

no confidence. . .

The other day I had coffee with a friend, a woman about my age who I met at the local knitting shop. She asked me, "What keeps you busy? . . .what do you do?"
So, I told her about Titus 2:3-5; I explained that I mentor women, that I love what I do, and that in the afternoon of my life, I'm living my dream . . . she was curious and it was good, for conversation about what I do lead to talk of the gospel.


Philippians 3:3 rattles around in my mind today-a portion of the the passage to consider in Bible study this week: true believers are those who worship in the spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh.

Hmmm. . .put no confidence in the flesh, how personally relevent. My recovery from surgery has been a little slow, slower than I would like, and I cry, "Lord, I am a weak vessel, indeed!" So, this is good for me, the normally hearty woman that I am.

And sometimes when I think about the Titus 2 passage, I'm amazed by the purposeful work which God has planned for older women, good work which brings him glory. . . put no confidence in the flesh; I am weak, vulnerable, sinful and I will accomplish nothing but by the enabling will and grace of God.

I am so grateful for the reminder. . .

4 comments:

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

I want to be like you some day.

Caroline said...

Thanks for the encouragement...I can echo what Leah said. I am praying for your recovery.

Kelly said...

Not only do I think of you when I am searching for an example of an older woman who is invested in teaching younger women, Darcie; but I think of I Timothy 5:9,10 and the life of faithfulness that you have lived that fits into this very description, as well.

"Faithful to her husband, and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of saints, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds."

Thanking the Lord for you!