Tuesday, February 10, 2009

things we do together. . .


Almost a year ago my family gave me this lovely blue bicycle. The boys were working at a bike shop and it seemed like the perfect time to purchase one. . .if I really wanted one.

Hmmm, yes. . .a bicycle would be fun! Perhaps my response sounded tentative- John asked me privately, "So, do you really want a bicycle?" I thought hard about this, weighing the options. . . bicycle or KitchenAide mixer? bicycle or . . . .? And ultimately I concluded that indeed, a bicycle is a great choice, especially if I'm going to keep up with this man in the afternoon of our life together.

So, it's a beautiful bicycle-I wear a pink bicycle helmet and capris with a padded seat, Imagine that! My favorite place to ride with John is along the misson trail, bordering the river not far from home; it's an 8-10 mile ride, just about my limit. I can sense John's anticipation when I agree to his suggestion, "Want to go on a bike ride with me this afternoon?" And then I'm amused as he rides beside me and counts how many zealous cyclists speed past us-

So, recently John purchased an accessory for my bicycle, a Toto basket-while my husband bikes long and hard just to do it, he's learned that I prefer my bike route to have a destination. Now I can ride to the neighborhood bread shop and bring home pan dulce in my basket, and soon perhaps even to the knitting shop. . . .

Due to a variety of circumstances, my beautiful bicycle has been propped in the study for about a month, collecting cobwebs in the wheels. However, this is a good week to suggest a bike ride with John, for our anniversary. . .perhaps early Saturday morning we'll bike downtown to the Gunther House restaurant for anniversary breakfast. . .I know he'll order pecan pancakes, eggs and bacon; I'll enjoy coffee and tart cherry strudel and we'll remember 37 good years together.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Hope you enjoy that anniversary breakfast....
This is our 37th year of marriage, too...come June.
Sweet bike..and the Toto basket is perfect!

Naomi Smith said...

yes, I hope you do!

Molly said...

Being able to do my errands by bicycle is one of my top reasons for living in Davis.
Happy anniversary!
love,
Molly

Abigail said...

happy anniversary mom - hope you had a nice ride to the Gunther House. So fun to imagine you guys sitting together eating your favorites.