Tuesday, February 24, 2009

one more story for February. . .


February is clam chowder month at our house-it's an anniversary tradition with a story. . .

John and I lived in Portland, Oregon for about a year while he was going to school-that was 30 years ago-day trips to the Oregon coast were a delight, my favorite kind of beach- cool, damp, windy, cliffs, driftwood. . .

So, one Saturday we headed for the coast with sweet Rachel in her striped overalls. John suggested we dig some clams and I heartily agreed, thinking about homemade chowder. We dug and dug; it was fun and productive, however. . . the game warden approached us, peeked into our clam sack and handed us a $40 citation. . . a citation for harvesting too many clams without a fishing license, imagine that? $40 for too many clams- not exactly milk money on a student budget.

But the warden let us keep those clams, so I took them home and made clam chowder for dinner that night. I imagine it was tastey, but the most memorable ingredient was the sand- for I was a novice at cleaning clams. . .$40 gritty clam chowder!

Isn't it curious-the memories we record and celebrate. . .and laugh about? So in February, around our anniversary, John and I eat clam chowder, remembering that year after year our God continues to be faithful even when we are foolish. . .
(and these days I use canned clams)

3 comments:

Jim said...

Darci

I am coming over for dinner, love clam chowder.

Jim

Caroline said...

so hear it is... my clam chowder recipe that you asked me for and I kept forgetting to give to you.

1 stick of butter
1/2 to 3/4 onion, chopped
4-5 medium potatoes, diced
1 pint of clam juice or veggie stock will do
2-3 cans of minced clams
1 pint light cream
1 or 2 shot glasses dry vermouth
parsley
pepper
lots of fresh or dried dill!!

Saute onions in butter, add dill, clam juice, and potatoes, and just enough water to cover all ingredients. Simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked but not mushy. Shortly before they are done, add the clams and cook a little longer. (If you boil them the whole time, they get tough.) Add parsley, cream, vermouth. Heat just a little more so the cream does not cool it. Reheats well.

Abigail said...

I love this story - thanks for sharing it again!