Sunday, March 1, 2009

a good obsession

During the past week I've been thinking. . .writing. . .talking a lot to women about Philippians 3:12-14; I think it's become an obsession. . .

"But one thing I do. . ."(vs 13)
So, the apostle Paul pursued one thing-to be like Christ, a pursuit that was his obsession. I'm commited aswell in that direction. . . .

Remember Ferdinand the bull whose purpose in life was to meet the matador at the bull fight in Madrid? Then Ferdinand smelled the flowers in the lovely ladies' hair and he sat down in the middle of the bull ring-he got distracted, imagine that!

so-smelling the flowers wasn't bad. . . however, Ferdinand's one thing was to meet the matador in the bull ring; sadly, I'm alot like Ferdinand, I'm drawn away by the smell of flowers. . . and other good endeavors; I stumble on my past and grow discouraged; I'm distracted from the one thing. . .

"I press on toward the goal . . ." (vs 12, 14)

I've been married to a competitive athlete for 37 years (it appears we've raised some of the same!) and I've witnessed that kind of pressing on-vigorous, aggressive, intense- I watch my four sons, clattering home from a morning of mountain biking-scratched, bruised, black eye, bloody, exhilarated to have accomplished the goal. . .and I think-obsession!
And I wonder if others observe that relentless pursuit of Christlikeness in me. . .

So, one thing I do. . .forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well just to encourage you, I definitely observe that kind of Christlikeness in you...

Francey said...

Darcie! I love your blog. Thank you for these thoughts in light of our bible study. I love you!