Saturday, March 21, 2009

one beggar to another. . .

Last week I met a woman for coffee whom I'd met briefly over the phone. . . hmmm, how could she pick me out in the crowd at a local restaurant? So, I described myself-short, 100 lbs., wrinkled, gray hair, gray book bag-she found me right away.
So, we had pleasant discourse about the get acquainted trivia; she shared her spiritual journey, and then I asked her about the challenges. . .
As my new friend shared her life with me, I thought,
No temptation has overtaken you put such as is common to man. . . (I Cor 10:13)
And the reality is. . .her challenges are my challenges-our temptations may wear different clothes but human struggles and responses are the same. And the answer is the same. . . but God is faithful (I Cor 10:13)

So, here's a thought. . .discipleship is like one beggar giving another beggar bread, and if I'm the one giving, I'd better be certain I'm passing on real bread. . .

And unless I let the Word of God richly dwell within me, I'll merely dish up palatable garbage to my friends. . .a scary thought, indeed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rachel and I just looked through all your posts. Rachel wanted to see a picture of "Mercy's mom" and once we found Aunt Darcie she asked "Where's John?" There are only 2-3 pics of Uncle John but she enjoyed all the other pictures as well. :)