Wednesday, March 11, 2009

kind of like babysitting. . .


Last month my friend, Lori, invited me over for coffee-she was getting ready to join her husband Zachary at a military base in Arizona for 6 weeks.

So, we talked about life while Lori prepared biscuits using her grandmother's sourdough starter and biscuit recipe. She shared memories of yearly trips to visit her grandparents in the Texas Panhandle-and memories of Grandma Jan's sourdough biscuits served with homemade raspberry jam (and I'm thinking, raspberries in Texas??)

Lori. . . You'll be gone from home for 6 weeks. . .what about Grandma Jan's sourdough starter? I inquired.

Then Lori asked if I might like to babysit her sourdough starter. . .this babysitting would involve using a cup of the starter weekly and then feeding it. . .And of course, I said yes--how could I refuse?
So, for the past 3 weeks, we've been doing creative things with Grandma Jan's biscuits. Amaleah and Julia helped me one afternoon, crowded around the kitchen counter, spooning, dipping, mixing, patting and rolling- Oh, my! . . .flour covered their little bare feet that day. We baked biscuits to send home for their dinner, and we remembered to pray for Miss Lori.

This week John is home on spring break- so, Tuesday afternoon I fixed sourdough biscuits, jam, tea and coffee-and we thought about our elderly neighbor, Dan. . .he lives alone and works hard everyday in his garden.
(sometimes Dan shows up at our door with part of the catch of the day- cleaned catfish!)

. . .so Tuesday we took Dan a plate of Grandma Jan's biscuits with jam. Thanks! I was just fixin to go inside for something to eat. . .

Hmmm. . .I'm wondering how I can be creative with sourdough biscuits next week?
So, Lori, everytime I feed your sourdough starter, I think about you and Zachary, and I thank the Lord in every remembrance of you.

5 comments:

Michigan Kate said...

Ha ha! this reminds me of when I asked Lori to babysit my potted herb garden when we went to Michigan for a week or two : )

Francey said...

So sweet! I love the way you share your life with people.

Jenny said...

Ah... Lori told me that you are "babysitting" her starter! I'm so glad you're enjoying our Grandma's biscuits! They are so yummy!!

Dawn said...

I hope to taste one of those biscuits someday!
Thanks for stopping in this evening.
xo

LAE said...

Aw, Mrs. Newton... How special it was to read your post... I'm glad you're enjoying the biscuits! I'm sure looking forward to enjoying one when getting back. :o)

Thank you again for babysitting the starter for me. :oP Look forward to seeing you before long!