Sunday, January 25, 2009

beauty in the process

I enjoy the process of forcing bulbs indoors in the winter-it's tradition; in November after Thanksgiving, I fill a shallow glass dish with pebbles and push in the bulbs, six or seven side by side-Paperwhite Narcissus work best. Next water and watch- little green shoots appear almost immediately; roots branch out, pushing the bulbs to the service of the pebbles. I love to watch the process. . . water and watch as the weeks pass.

And by January Paperwhite stalks and leaves are straight and tall, the blossoms fragrant. The entire process is lovely- I think I enjoy the process as much, maybe more, than the blossoming bulbs. Isn't it that way with other good things in life. . . a baby learning to walk, bread dough rising in the bowl, the parts of a little sweater waiting to sew up, pen and paper on the table-the process of composing a letter to a friend far away. And sometimes, while there's beauty in the process, the end result doesn't quite measure up to the expectation, you know how that is-and there's still much value, much goodness in the process.

For I'm confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus (Phil 1:6). So, I've been thinking about the process of sanctification in my life-hmmm. . . sometimes as I labor to put off sin and to put on righteousness-well, the process doesn't seem very lovely-I want it to be complete, and now. . .

But Beauty rests in Christ. . .this is His work, and because He's commited to my holiness, because He won't give up on me nor stop working this good process in me til the end. . . that, dear ones, is beautiful indeed.

4 comments:

Naomi Smith said...

mom! you make me think, think, think!
I love it!
and I love your paperwhites. do you think I could force some starting now?

darcie said...

Sure, I've never forced bulbs this time of year, but I don't see why not--can you find paperwhite bulbs in the market now? it's worth a try.

Kelly said...

I've never paused to meditate on the beauty of the "process," before but you are so right, Darcie -- especially the beauty that comes when that process is not rushed or hurried. I think the sun as it creeps up in the morning, a anxious bride getting ready to see her groom, a room being painted from one color to another...how necessary the "process" and how rewarding the end result.

But, I, can often become impatient and weary in the waiting. Urrgghh.

So again, such a good reminder to find beauty in the process, especially meditating on my santification! And to think -- HIM!!!! at work in me.........I can't wait to see the end result!

Unknown said...

Very good indeed...the process. Definitely food for thought...I tend to want all processes to be completed...but really, the almost finished dressed hanging over the sewing machine is quite lovely, and really shows more life than a cleaned up sewing area and a dress hanging in the closet...