Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting personal. . .

The other day I received a note in the mail with this comment jotted as a postscript, "blogs can be just too impersonal". I'm not sure if the sender was referring to my blog, but I know the dilemma. . . share my life, but just how much?

So, this week I had my gall bladder removed, actually on Saturday I celebrated my 59th birthday and then on Tuesday I had surgery-my very first surgery ever, imagine that? And there were blessings, noteable blessings which accompanied this very personal aspect of my life:

Daughter-in-law: Gabrielle offered to come and sit at the surgery center with me; John commented, "You have the most wonderful daughters-in-law!" (indeed, I have two and both are the best!) So, Gabrielle came before my surgery- there I was laying in the little gown with my feet sticking out the end of the bed, waiting, just waiting. . . we had girl talk and it was comfortable. Then post surgery, there she was again, sitting close, waiting to help me into my clothes. With daughters, we have lots of opportunity to get personal during the growing up years, but with daughters-in-law the personal takes awhile. . . .if you know what I mean? So, it was good to have Gabrielle there close during my physical weakness, when life seems very personal.


Dinners: John and I have been getting food this week-yesterday it appeared asthough a restaurant came to my house; some of the dinners have come from younger women, the ones I meet with over coffee and the Word. Now they are serving me generously, creatively-and I'm thankful for their personal care.


So, I'm recovering-it doesn't hurt too much if I don't laugh, so I'm trying to live seriously this week. And, of course, John is here. . . "More hot tea?" he asks, and I answer, "Sure, more hot tea and the hot water bottle too, please. . ." (did I say I turned 59 last week?)

7 comments:

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

How sweet of her!

I am glad your recovering so well and that your being well cared for!

Love
Nichole

Dawn said...

I am happy the surgery is now in the past. Gall bladder issues are uncomfortable...after watching my mother-in-law deal with them in '07.
What a way to celebrate 59!
Enjoy this last year of the fabulous fifties!!
:)

Give my daughter in law a hug when you see her.

Abigail said...

Gab is so very sweet - I am so glad that God has surrounded you with such wonderful people!
...and yay for tea and hot water bottles! Get better soon mom!

Unknown said...

It was a pleasure for me to be there, by the way! And, may I please add that you probably won the award for the cutest person in a hospital gown and hat! And the sweetest! Who knew someone who just pulled out of anesthesia could still be interested in the personal life of the nurse...that was a blessing for me to watch. Thanks for being a blessing to all of us who are enjoying serving you right now!

Rachel said...

I am so thankful to hear how you are being loved and cared for. Something in me says -- but it's only right! Of course she has all those people caring for her! How could she not, when she and Popi care so much for them!

and I'm so glad you had Gabrielle right there with you. I'm sure she more than made up for the rest of us having to be so far away...

rest! and enjoy all this extra time for reading!

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

Isn't it wonderful how blessings come back to you? Reading your little note reminded me of Gramma Moose, and how she has/is experiencing the same thing: God bringing the "personal" blessings back to her. It made me cry!!! I'm hoping I can experience the same thing some day (minus surgery!) and praying you mend well!!!

The Thomas Troops said...

I just sent Ed an email and told him to NOT make you laugh at dinner! I'm so excited that you get to be together...
Love always!
In Him,
Dinah